Saturday, October 5, 2019

Downtown Bodø, Norway: August 2017

Text and images (c) Robert \Barry Francos / 2018
Photos can be made larger by clicking on them

It was inevitable I would get to Norway, considering I'm married to someone whose ancestors are from the region. When a conference opened up in Oslo, a friend in the town of Bodø offered to let us stay in Bodø for a few days before it started. We flew up and had an enjoyable time. It was my first time in Norway, and also a first for being above the Arctic Circle.

Most of central Bodø was destroyed by the German Blitzkrieg Bop in the 1940s, so it's an interesting mix of old and new architecture. Mural art is also big there, often in alleyways and off the beaten commuter path, though some are along main routes. It's a beautiful area with a lot of construction/reconstruction going on everywhere.

An interesting point is that the airport is in walking distance of the downtown, yet you rarely hear the planes as they come from the water side.

Statue of King Haakon 7, with the sun behind him.


Like a low-grade San Francisco

That woman on the bench better watch out...

That is a real butterfly on an historic building marker.


I wonder if Lindsay Anderson and Malcolm McDowell know about this...

Large, odd mural by British artist Phlegm Pants.

Supposedly a decent restaurant, even if it isn't in Iceland.




Interesting sculpture.

Next to sculpture, this is a game you run around and try to answer math questions.



Now this is a door!

A nightclub; the sign below indicates a rave. I like how it covers up the menu.


Many alleyways have huge murals. I approve.


Very Banksy-like anti-bullying mural.

Rickety staircase in alley near bus stop.

Actually looks like someone I know, who was my ex-intern.

I have a similar picture from Xi'an, China.
The city's museum, but I didn't go in due to time and energy.


Bodø Cathederal







This reminds me of a 1990's cartoon style.




I like the composition of this shot

No comments:

Post a Comment